Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Words from Rick

" To my well-wishers one and all, thank you kindly for your friendly words and expressions of solidarity. It helps a lot. I'll be wearing my amazing technicolor dreamcoat of constantly chanted prayers into the operating room, and if they tell me I have to take it off I'm going to answer, Bite me. Plus I'll have the tiny beautiful green iPod--thank you, thank you, thank you.
Betty will continue the Good Health Forum while I'm in the hospital for the next seven days, so that we can all continue our come-from-nowhere, out-of-the-blue, 61-message obsession with Rick's colon. Never did I think my colon would bring me so many friends. Never underestimate your organs, they can be full of surprises, to say nothing of twists and turns.

And now a few closing words from T.S. Eliot:

"Let us go then, you and I,
While the evening is spread out against the sky
Like a patient etherized upon a table.
Let us go through certain half-deserted streets,
The muttering retreats of restless nights
In one-night cheap hotels
And sawdust restaurants with oyster shells,
Streets that follow like a tedious argument
Of insidious intent
To lead you to an overwhelming question--
Oh do not ask what is it,
Let us go and make our visit."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home